Saturday, February 4, 2012

Mutliple Techniques

I have seen many different techniques of how teachers gain the attention of their students.  My cooperating teacher uses a variety of different methods.  The two most common are doing "shout-outs".  She says "3-2-1" and the students respond with "zip" and then are expected to be quiet and listen, and let me tell you it almost always works.  Another "shout-out" we use is, she will say "hubba hubba" and students respond with "yes ma'am", this also almost always works as well.  I have seen other teachers ring a bell when they want their students attention.  I have also seen teachers use a musical instrument or a song to gain student attention.  I like, and use, the methods of my cooperating teacher and since we are teaching 6th grade I find them very age appropriate and kind of fun.  I like the idea of using a variety of methods so you are not using the same one all the time, but at the same time not using too many that students become confused on what is expected of them.  If I teach 5th or 6th grade next year I will definitely be using the methods of my cooperating teacher.  If I teach a younger grade I like the idea of a musical instrument or little bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment