Saturday, February 4, 2012

Constructive Feedback

I find all of the constructive feedback I am receiving helpful in one way or another.  One specific example is from my first observation and debriefing with my field instructor.  It was pointed out to me that during the lesson I said "ok" over 35 times within an hour and fifteen minutes.  When she asked me if I noticed I was doing that I said no.  I had no idea that I had said "ok" that many times.  Once she pointed it out to me I realised how much I like to say it.  I use it as a transition word and apparently a space filler.  This feedback was extremely helpful because it first of all made me aware that I was doing it and secondly reminded me to be very conscious and purposeful with my word choice.  In the next lesson I taught I found myself doing it again.  I thought about how distracting that might be for my students.  So I stopped what I was doing and talked to them about how it had been brought to my attention that I say "ok" a lot.  The students agreed that I say it all the time and we had a great laugh about it. I told them I was really going to work on not using that word as much and asked them for their help in pointing it out when I do so.  We agreed that if I started over using it they would all raise their hand at the same time.  While I still say it every once in a while I have greatly improved, with the help of my students, in a very short amount of time.  This feedback was extremely helpful because it made me conscious of not only my over use of a specific word but conscious of my word choice in general and making it as purposeful as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment