Monday, March 12, 2012

Math talk moves

I have to say that I love the math talk moves we have learned this quarter.  I have found myself using them with my students across disciplines.  The first time I used the talk moves, during a math lesson, and asked my students to add onto or revoice what another student said, it felt a little clumsy.  But during the following days math lesson I continued the use of them, and began to see the benefits of doing so.  At one point during the 2nd days lesson, a student was explaining her thinking, when a I asked another student to revoice what the other student had just said, he looked a little puzzled.  I gave him some wait time, and on his own, without prompting, he looked at the other student and said, "can you repeat what you just said?" He was then able to repeat what the other student said and it seemed that he understood what he said as well.  If I hadn't used the talk moves I think this student would have still been confused about what we were discussing.  This is just one example of many I have seen over the weeks of using the talk moves and how it benefits and enhances student understanding and engagement.  Since I have now been using these talk moves for many weeks it just feels second nature.  I now use them across disciplines and can't imagine doing without. 

No comments:

Post a Comment