Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Blogging in the Classroom

If you have ever thought about having your elementary school students blog click here!  This is an amazing how to guide, created by Silvia Rosenthal Tolisano (with resources from many others), that explains in detail how teachers can start blogging with their students.  Any questions I previously had about where and how to get started with bringing blogging into the classroom, is laid out clearly and in great in detail in this guide.  There are many resources and detailed lessons on how to teach your students the purpose of blogging academically, how to be safe and protect themselves, the benefits of blogging and so much more.  There are also videos you can show your students about online safety.  There are numerous links to current classroom blogs that teachers and students can look at to get ideas.  As well as, tips on effective commenting and relevant writing.  I feel so lucky to have come across this wonderful resource that I just had to share it.  It is how to blog with elementary students from A to Z.  I already knew that I want to incorporate blogging into my future classrooms but wasn't really sure exactly how or where to start, now I know both and can't wait to give it a go next year.

5 comments:

  1. Very cool! I just saw this on Twitter this week and was deciding whether to send it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh awesome, thanks! In my main placement, my master teacher has a daily blog going about what the kids do each day and includes the night's homework so parents can see what's going on and students can check it over too. However, the same student writes in it every day as her classroom job, so while perhaps not the best example of incorporating blogging into the classroom I thought I'd offer my two cents for how I've seen it utilized in the real world. The kids love it and as far as safety, the student types it into google, save it to a shared file, the teacher reads it and then posts (all anonymously).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant types it into word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all about incorporating blogging into my future classroom, and this is a nice resource to have because it seems like it has all of the "nuts and bolts" you need to get going. As a teacher, I definitely plan on keeping a daily blog that parents can check out just as another line of communication between myself and them. I think students should blog as a way to enrich their curriculum and communicate with a wider (although still secure) audience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting the blogging guide. I bookmarked the site. I hope to do this one day, after I get my teacher bearings.

    ReplyDelete